Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Sausage Spaghetti Squash

This was my first attempt at cooking a paleo recipe (at least knowingly), and it was so good! First, have you ever cooked spaghetti squash?  Once you roast this unique squash you remove the insides with a fork, and they really do resemble spaghetti.  Anyone who tells you that it TASTES like spaghetti is lying, but it is a fun and healthy alternative to the noodle.  The squash, based off this recipe,  is jazzed up with some spicy Italian sausage and kale, and has a slight Thai twist with the addition of coconut milk.

Servings: 4
Size: 1 1/2 cup
Points Plus: 4pp
Level of Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Rating: 4 stars - Very Good

Ingredient List:
1 Italian sausage (I used 7pp of sausage)
1 Medium spaghetti squash, halved and seeds removed
1 Bundle of kale, roughly chopped
1/2 Red onion
1/3 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. canned coconut milk, light
1 Clove garlic, minced
1 T. garlic powder
1 t. tarragon
1 t. salt (more to taste)
1/2 t. black pepper
1/4 t. ground sage
1 Green onion, white and green part

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Roast squash, cut side down for 40 minutes. When cooked remove, flip to cut side up, and let cool so you can handle it.

While squash cooks, cook sausage, breaking up into small pieces.  When cooked remove from pan and set aside.  Add garlic, kale, onion and chicken broth to pot and stir. Add coconut milk and spices, cover and let simmer about 7 minutes.

When you can handle squash pull it apart with a fork (de-thread).  Add squash and sausage back to pot and mix well.  Top with onions and serve!

Tip:
I packed this in my lunch today, this is a really big deal!  I never pack my lunch, ever!!  I divided up the leftovers into individually portioned glass pyrex so it was easy to grab this morning.  If anyone has any tips for packing a lunch please PLEASE let me know! I feel like when I pack my lunch it doesn't make me full, but when I go out to my normal, WW friendly lunch spots it does!  I think it is all in my head...

XOXO - Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...