Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Frosted Pumpkin Cookies

I have had this recipe saved to my Pinterest dessert board for quite awhile.  It comes from the Parent Pretty blog – check out the original recipe here.  I made a few modifications, most notably, I cut the recipe in half.  I wasn’t ready to have 5 dozen cookies staring me in the face and testing my self-control!  2 and 1/2 dozen seemed like a much more reasonable amount for me to make.


Servings: 2 ½ dozen (or 30) cookies
Size:  1 cookie
Points Plus: 4pp
Level of Difficulty:  Easy
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time:  10-12 minutes per cookie sheet
Rating: 4 stars –  Very good

 
Ingredient List:
Cookies:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
½ 15 oz. can pumpkin
2 cups flour

Frosting:
¼ cup butter
¼ cup packed brown sugar
2 or 3 tsp. milk
½ tsp. vanilla
2 to 3 cups powdered sugar (depending on frosting thickness/consistency)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350°.  Using a mixer, beat the butter for 30 seconds.  Add in sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and beat until well combined.  Add the egg and vanilla, mix well.  Next, beat in the pumpkin.  Finally, add in the flour in multiple steps, not all at once.  On an ungreased cookie sheet, drop heaping teaspoons of cookie dough a few inches between each cookie.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Cool on a wire cooling rack.
To make the frosting, heat the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan on the stove.  Make sure the mixture is well combined and smooth.  Transfer the butter/sugar into a bowl, whisk in the 2 tsp. milk and vanilla.  Beat in powdered sugar, add more until frosting is to your desired level of thickness vs. more of a glaze.   You may need to add additional milk to acheive the frosting thickness you prefer as well.  Once the cookies have completely cooled, spread frosting on top.
Tip:
I can't stress enough the importance of waiting until your cookies have cooled before you add the frosting to the tops.  I was impatient and my cookies although started out looking great (see picture above), but I quickly watched my frosting droop and melt off the top and setlle into small pools at the edges of each cookie. :(
XOXO Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...