Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Before learning how to eat healthy I had no clue how easy it was to make yummy veggie soup.  I have tried many recipes over the years that really are just veggies and bullion (or stock), and they almost always turn out amazing!  This recipe from Skinnytaste is so easy and is one of my favs.  I love mushrooms (not everyone does ;), and this soup is great paired with half of a sandwich for lunch.  Also, it is only 2pp per serving.  Pretty amazing if you ask me!

Servings: 5
Servings Size: 1 1/4 cup
Points Plus: 3pp
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Rating: 4 stars - Very Good

Ingredients
3 tbsp flour
4 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
5 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
8 oz baby bella, sliced
1 celery stalk
Fresh ground pepper
Raw scallions
8 T. soft goat cheese

Instructions
Put water into a heavy stock pot and bring to a boil.  Add flour slowly, whisking as you go. Set pot to medium heat.

Add celery, mushrooms, chicken bouillon and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until veggies are soft, about 30 minutes. Remove and toss celery.  Using your immersion blender, blend to the consistency that you enjoy.  If you don't have an immersion blender take a few cups of the soup out and put it into your blender, and then return to the pot.  Continue cooking a few minutes longer.  I served my soup with a few raw onions and a dab of goat cheese (because I didn't have any sour cream.  

Tip
Bouillon has a TON of salt and maybe that is why I love it so much (I love salt which is bad, I know).  Don't fear, I am on the hunt for a better bullion.  I have found a few recipes for DIY that I am going to test out in the next few weeks.  I have never found a stock that I think tastes as good as bullion, so if you have one, please let me know what it is and I will give it a try!  Add the bouillon slowly.  If you like your soup less salty you might not need 3 cubes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...