Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

Home Made Potato Chips

Chips!  Who doesn't love 'em?? They are my junk food.  Any of them - well, any except sun chips because I consider those too healthy - HA! Anyways, everyone knows that they are deep fried potatos, and obviously unhealthy.  Let me ask you this...what if you lived in a world where you could eat about 100 potato chips for just 2pp? Well guess what?? That world exists!  My husband received the Pampered Chef potato chip maker for Christmas, and this past week we tried it out.  After a few batches I would say we perfected the recipe.  They seriously taste like kettle chips, but not as greasy.  They are delish and guilt free! Now, I know that not everyone has this amazing potato chip maker, so I tried to make them without it.  Well guess what?? They were almost as good.  I would still recommend buying his amazing kitchen tool, but if you don't have it, you can still make your own chips at home. Potato chips for everyone!!

Servings: 1 (heck, I could eat 100 potato chips)
Serving Size: 1 potato, I used a 4 oz potato which I would classify as 'small' and got about 100 chips out of it!
Points Plus: 2pp
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: About 5 minutes per batch, time varies depending on thickness
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Rating: 5 stars - Excellent

Ingredients
1 potato, I used a 4 oz potato which came out to 2pp
Kosher Salt
Fresh cracked black pepper

Tools
Mandolin
Paper towel
Pampered Chef potato chip maker, linked above
OR
Parchment paper and a microwave safe plate

Instructions
Scrub your potato clean. Using a mandolin slice your potato into thin circles.  I used the second from the smallest thickness.  Dry the potatoes with your paper towel.

If using the chip maker, lay the chips on a single layer. The chip maker includes two levels.  So, fill each tray, stack them, and then put them in the microwave.

If you do not have a chip maker, lay a piece of parchment paper on a microwave safe plate. Again, be sure the slices are not overlapped.  Fill the plate and put it in the microwave.

In either instance, cook in the microwave for 3 minutes.  After three minutes flip the chips and sprinkle a desired amount of kosher salt on them.  Cook again for about 2 minutes. As you are cooking them feel free to check and remove any that you think are crispy enough. Continue cooking until all the chips are crispy. When chips are done, eat them all!

Tip
You could top these with any verity of seasonings.  Cayenne pepper, vinegar and salt, cinnamon! Next time, I would love to try to create sour cream and onion flavoring.  Check back for that one SOON! (or let me know if you have ideas of how to create this flavor)

Fun Fact
Did you know that 100 regular kettle chips could cost you around 31pp??

XOXO - Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...